Controls Engineering Team Manager
The Controls team is responsible for the deployment, service and maintenance of our building automation systems (BMS) and electrical power monitoring systems (EPMS) within Amazon data centers. The team is tasked with new-build construction deployments, planned maintenance activities and critical infrastructure improvement projects to optimize utilization of power and cooling within operational data centers around the globe.
The Controls Team is seeking a Manager to oversee a team of Controls Engineers (CEs) and serve as a liaison between our internal operational and business customers. Ideal candidates are energetic, strategic thinkers, and possess the ability to develop and deploy innovative solutions to address team challenges. This role requires a hands on approach to management that starts with understanding the problem and working with customers and partners to solve it. The candidate will have a high bar for quality, must have strong written and verbal communication skills, and must be able to leverage data to drive improvements within their team. They must also possess a project/construction management, mechanical,electrical or technology background that enables him/her to undertake the challenges of sophisticated controls platforms and a demonstrated ability to think broadly and strategically in aligning building controls and automation with the larger objectives of the business. A fundamental understanding of these systems is required, as the manager will be expected to technically understand the work the team executes on a regular basis.
As the manager of this team, you will own aspects of the group’s success, including the development & delivery of team goals, developing the careers of your team members and managing for performance, whilst ensuring the delivery of a large portfolio of projects that is consistently on time and within budget. You will be responsible for driving process improvement and standardization across your team whilst ensuring key project performance metrics are met. You will be required to manage the project workload and throughput of your team, prioritizing projects based on the impact to the business. You will be responsible for developing and sharing metrics that pertain to the team’s deliverables as well as managing the teams’ results against established deadlines. You will help drive improvements by working with partner teams to eliminate waste,increasing productivity and coach your team to do the same by delegating tasks and utilizing individual strengths.
If you are passionate about the Customer Experience; you think and act globally; and you want to contribute to the operational excellence of Amazon data centers, then this may be the challenge you have been looking for! Only those who have worked within a data center environment need apply.
Role Responsibilities And Requirements
- Able to implement and track team goals, report the status of ongoing projects upwards.
- Experienced Interviewer, able to develop launch plans for new hires, and identify team needs.
- Strong writing skills, able to articulate thoughts clearly and concisely
- Understanding of: electrical diagrams, control diagrams, building operations, control circuits, industrial HVAC.
- Ability to ascertain customer needs to help develop project scope and specifications.
- Ability to manage scope of work relative to the site specifics and customer needs.
- Ability to manage project engineering to determine the scope of work relative to the design intent of the customer needs.
- Ability to read and interpret specifications and implementing those specifications as they apply the work environment.
- Development of control panel BOM’s
- Development of ISA data sheets for temperature, level, flow, and pressure transmitters along with ISA data sheets for control valves, positioners, analytical, and various other types of instrumentation.
- Development of drawings for control panels, power distribution, junction boxes. Included in the drawings are the general arrangement, internal layout, schematics and interconnection and wire diagrams.
- Development of logic diagrams in the International Automation format for complex logic devices such as Programmable Logical Controller and Distributed Control System.
- Preparation of cable, routing plans and schedules.
- Performing inspects, testing, and commission of the facility systems.
- Work individually and as part of a team to develop new products, support existing products, test and evaluate equipment.
- Provide technical assistance as needed to internal customers.
- Coordinate project work internally within the department and externally with other departments to ensure on-time completion of projects within budget.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
Frankfurt, HE, DEU
Professional traits that are not unique to this position, but necessary for success at Amazon:
- Strong customer focus
- Exhibits excellent judgment
- Has high standards (is never satisfied with the status quo)
- Is able to dive deep and is never out of touch with the details of the business or the technology
- Strive for innovation and simplification
- Has passion and convictions and the innate ability to inspire passion in others
- Strong results orientation
- Thinks big
- Demonstrated success in leading and managing teams, preferably in a Controls, Mechanical or electrical construction environment
- Experience as a Controls Engineering Specialist
- Minimum 4 years of managing a highly skilled team
- Project management, organization and problem solving skills with a drive for results and the ability to handle multiple task
- Must possess ability to build peer relationships as well as work independently.
- Must be able to operate with little to no supervision
- Willing to travel domestically and internationally
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Technology, HVAC, or other related engineering degrees as well as ten (10) years related experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.