City of Saskatoon
Commercial Building Inspector
Under supervision of the designated Department staff, this position performs building inspection duties to ensure compliance with applicable Codes, Bylaws, Acts and Standards.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Schedules, prioritizes, and inspects all buildings and other structures and installations during all phases of construction to ensure compliance with approved plans and applicable Codes, Bylaws, Acts and Standards.
- Communicates with contractors, property owners and other concerned parties to explain building code regulations, details of building construction, and zoning requirements in order to resolve problems and ensure barrier free access, public health, life safety, fire safety and structural sufficiency.
- Reviews drawings and related information for buildings, prior to inspections.
- Maintains physical and electronic records and issues reports of inspections, including action taken and recommendations; conducts subsequent inspections to determine if infractions have been rectified.
- Assists in the preparation, issuance, maintenance and closure of correction notices, stop work orders, and orders to remedy contravention.
- Patrols assigned areas to ensure that building permits are obtained for all construction activity.
- Reviews older permits and files for closure and takes enforcement action as necessary to obtain compliance, including, but not limited to, the writing of correction notices, orders, and requests for prosecution.
- Performs special inspections related to subdivision requests, complaints, fire damaged buildings, building relocations, as well as pre-approval inspections for such things as bed and breakfast homes, personal care homes and day care centres.
- Provides brochures and technical assistance related to the National Building Code, National Energy Code for Buildings, the Swimming Pool Bylaw, The Construction Codes Act and regulations under the Act.
- Assists with the occupancy permit and encroachment agreement processes by gathering related information, making recommendations for approval or conditions for approval, and coordinating joint inspections with other civic departments as required.
- Assists with the development of and changes to the building inspection program, policy, procedures and code interpretations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Grade 12 education.
- Possession of a Saskatchewan Journeyman Carpenter Certificate, including completion of a apprenticeship program plus five years’ subsequent related journeyman trade experience, including two years’ as a Building Inspector
- Graduation from a two-year, post-secondary architectural, mechanical, civil or other related engineering technology program, plus five years’ subsequent related building construction experience, including two years’ as a Building Inspector.
- Possession of a valid Class 3 Building Official Licence.
- Possession of a valid Saskatchewan Class 5 Driver’s Licence and a vehicle suitable for use in the performance of duties.
- Current driver’s abstract from SGI demonstrating a safe driving record.
- Thorough knowledge of the National Building Code of Canada, The Construction Codes Act and regulations under the Act.
- Knowledge of the National Energy Code for Buildings, City of Saskatoon Building Bylaw, Zoning Bylaw, Swimming Pool Bylaw, and Property & Maintenance Bylaw.
- Knowledge of all pertinent standards, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to interpret, and make decisions in accordance with, established policies and procedures.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to read and interpret construction drawings.
- Ability to effectively express ideas orally and in writing.
- Ability to exercise considerable judgement in the issuance of orders, correction notices, and other enforcement activities as required, including prosecutions.
- Ability to deal with people in a tactful, courteous and authoritative manner.
- Ability to maintain current knowledge of technical advancements and changes in the construction industry.
- Skill in the operation of a computer with word processing, spreadsheet and workflow software.
To apply for this job please visit ca.indeed.com.