City of Vaughan
Reporting to the Horticulture Supervisor, the Lead Gardener assists Horticulture Operations in the planning and scheduling of all resources necessary to carry out the City of Vaughan’s horticulture programs, including oversight of horticulture maintenance personnel and contractor work activities. Performs functions in accordance with established standard operating procedures, departmental and corporate policies, sound horticulture construction and maintenance principles and practices, and applicable codes, with a focus on providing excellent customer service and continuous improvement processes.
Standard hours of work: 7:00am – 3:30pm, Monday – Friday
If required, Winter Rotational Shifts may be implemented (with notice in accordance with the Collective Agreement).
Qualifications and Experience
- Two (2) year College Diploma in Horticulture, Landscape, or related field, or suitable equivalent
- Minimum of four (4) years of related gardening experience, including one (1) year coordinating the work of others, preferably in a municipal or commercial environment.
- Strong leadership skills with experience in directing and assigning work to others (25+ team members), including training, monitoring work performance, and motivating staff.
- Possesses, working knowledge of pest control. 1PM accreditation would be considered an asset.
- Demonstrated experience, knowledge and understanding of garden design, plants, soils, tools, equipment and procedures relevant to gardening/horticultural activities.
- Thorough knowledge in industry practices for plant health care including propagation techniques, greenhouse environmental controls, insect and disease identification, invasive exotics, and Integrated Pest Management controls
- Ability to effectively communicate, both oral and written and build relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Effective customer service and problem-solving skills.
- Proficient time management and record keeping skills and flexibility in adjusting between a variety of duties.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, and is a reliable self-starter, as part of a team, and in a team lead position.
- Possesses an understanding of the MTO’s OTM Book 7 for Temporary Conditions, and proven knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and other applicable legislation.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office software, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Possesses a valid Ontario “G” License, in good standing, with access to a reliable vehicle for corporate use. A “DZ” license would be considered an asset
- A current Landscape, Industrial Vegetation and Greenhouse Exterminator class applicators license from Ontario Ministry of the Environment and experience in greenhouse management would be considered an asset
- Certifications in Chainsaw, irrigation and confined space entry would be considered an asset
- Stage line training certificate would be considered an asset
- Majority of duties are performed outside (70% outside, 30% inside)
- Ability to perform physical demands of the job, including lifting up to 100lbs assisted.
- Ability to perform a variety of physical activities including lifting, digging, shoveling, raking and climbing ladders and able to actively participate in daily activities, working within live traffic conditions and adverse weather conditions.
- Required to wear personal protective equipment. Equipment includes, but is not limited to horticulture hand tools, line trimmers, rototillers, brush chippers, agricultural tractors, chain saws, rotary mowers, post pounders, leaf blowers, sod cutters, rakes, shovels etc.
To apply for this job please visit ca.indeed.com.