Human Resources Advisor
Since Columbia College has offered quality educational programs, including a University Transfer Program fully integrated into the BC Transfer System, an Associate Degree Program certified by the Ministry of Post-Secondary Education and Future Skills, a University Preparatory Program, and a High School Program certified by the Ministry of Education. Thousands of Canadian and international students have progressed through Columbia College’s programs to Canadian universities or successful careers.
We are seeking a Human Resources Advisor with generalist experience to join a dynamic and small HR team. Our ideal candidate is a team player with initiative who enjoys working collaboratively in a diverse environment and is eager to foster positive changes and best practices in the department and at the College level.
The primary focus of this position is to provide human resources support in a variety of areas, including recruitment, onboarding, employee relations, compensation, job evaluation, wellness, disability management, HR information systems, and HR projects. The HR Advisor is expected to ensure that practices are consistent and comply with legislation, the College’s employment agreement, and policies and procedures. Additionally, the HR Advisor participates in the engagement survey administration and works with Columbia College’s faculty and staff members to help foster opportunities that enhance engagement.
The Human Resources Advisor acts with considerable independence, discretion, judgment, and initiative in providing timely and accurate information and advice on all human resources-related matters.
The working schedule for this position will be Monday to Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm (35 hours per week). The job will be performed four days on campus and one day from home.
- Preparing a variety of confidential documentation, including letters of appointment, employment verification, immigration, performance, and other kinds of correspondence.
- Participating in the entire cycle recruitment process, including sourcing, screening, interviewing, and selection.
- Developing creative and innovative recruiting ideas to attract qualified candidates in a competitive marketplace.
- Contributing to enhancing and implementing comprehensive and effective onboarding programs for new hires.
- Maintaining accurate and current information in orientation packages and HR SharePoint.
- Assisting in managing the College’s compensation and benefits programs, ensuring it remains competitive and cost-effective.
- Participating in salary surveys and miscellaneous projects such as designing and developing new job evaluation plans.
- Updating and maintaining accurate information in the HRIS system and personnel files.
- Liaising with payroll to resolve employees’ payroll and benefits issues promptly
- Supporting the Human Resources Manager by participating in the development and implementation of effective people management strategies, practices, standards, and initiatives in generalist areas, such as employee relations, workforce planning, coaching, succession planning, performance management, training and development, and recruitment and selection.
- Facilitating the performance management program, providing coaching and guidance to managers, reviewing completed appraisals, and maintaining records up to date in the HRIS system, SharePoint and files.
- Building and maintaining meaningful relationships across all levels of the organization.
- Keeping up-to-date and ensuring compliance with various HR-related legislative requirements, employment laws and emerging trends and contributing to creating and implementing HR policies and procedures.
- Identifying opportunities to develop further and expand HR initiatives, policies, and processes.
- Preparing a variety of metrics reports and other reports as required.
- Organizing employee events and participating in the development of the College Wellness Program.
- Participating in the Professional Development Day Committee and other committees as required.
- A Bachelor’s degree with a focus in Human Resources Management or a related field. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience will be considered.
- A CPHR designation is considered an asset.
A minimum of four (5) years of generalist experience in Human Resources.
- Knowledge and understanding of human resources management principles with expertise in job evaluation and compensation are preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to manage confidential information with a high degree of diplomacy
- Respectful and collaborative orientation in interactions with others
- Effective planning and organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize, multi-task and maintain accuracy in a fast-paced environment;
- Demonstrated ability to model professional, ethical and collaborative behaviours.
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel and Human Resources Information Systems.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Solid ability to work with considerable independence, initiative and discretion.
Columbia College offers a competitive salary based on qualifications and experience. The starting gross salary range for this position is $75,000 – $85,000
All Columbia College employees are covered by the Columbia College Employment Agreement, which includes full benefits, a generous RRSP plan and vacation once confirmed.
To apply for this job please visit ca.indeed.com.