Lead Level Artist
The Coalition is a flagship first-party studio within Xbox Game Studios and the home to one of gaming’s most critically and commercially acclaimed series, Gears of War. We are a group of diverse and talented individuals working for a common purpose to push the limits of Microsoft’s entertainment platform and devices. As a studio, we lead from our values and work together to promote respect and inclusion, a growth mindset and grit, all while putting our team first. If you have the fire to work with our driven team, then come work with us.
We are seeking an inspiring, highly motivated Lead Level Artist. In this position you will be expected to partner with the Art Director(s) and other disciplines to help define the level art quality bar and lead a team of talented level artists to bring this vision to reality. We are looking for a candidate that has a proven track record of delivering visually stunning high-quality levels, and leading a team of talented artists by helping to support them and nurturing an environment where they can thrive.
- Set an example for the team by upholding the values of The Coalition Art team in building a creative, positive & inclusive culture for the level art team.
- Produce high quality artwork to help establish a quality bar and direction for other level artists to follow.
- Partner with the Art Director, conduct reviews and provide regular feedback in line with the vision set out by art direction, maintaining quality and consistency.
- Partner with the Production team to provide estimates, proactively manage risks and assign tasks, ensuring work is completed on time at a high level of quality.
- Using a positive style of communication connecting with other leads and looking out for dependencies, blockers and cross department challenges actively working together to provide creative solutions to resolve them.
- Bachelor’s Degree or Certificate in Design, Fine Arts, Human Computer Interaction, Visual Communications or related art field AND 4+ years’ experience in art design or a related art field working on computer games or entertainment.
- OR equivalent experience.
- 2+ years’ people management experience (e.g., serving as a Lead Artist or Art Manager etc.)
- A portfolio with examples of environment & level artwork.
- 6+ years of environment/level art experience and an in-depth knowledge of game development with previous leadership experience or a senior artist that is ready for the next step.
- Knowledge or experience working with and developing tools and procedural systems for level art creation and experience working with terrain generation software.
- A good visual and technical understanding of level creation methods using Unreal Engine or other game engines relating to composition, materials, lighting, technical constraints, and level design fundamentals.
- Proficient working knowledge of Maya (preferred) or similar 3D modeling software, Substance, Photoshop and Z-brush.
To apply for this job please visit ca.indeed.com.