APANS Health Services
The Recreation Associates provide recreation activities for individuals with disabilities or illnesses using a variety of techniques. Recreation Associates improve and maintain the physical, mental, and emotional well-being of the resident. Under the direction of the Director of Program & Support Services he/she helps individuals reduce depression, stress, and anxiety; recover basic motor functioning and reasoning abilities; build confidence; and socialize effectively. They carry out recreational interventions consistent with the residents’ needs and interests as directed by the Director.
- Diploma / Degree in recreation. Degree or Diploma in a health sciences field such as Gerontology, Social Service Worker, Kinesiology etc
- Minimum 1 year experience in a social or recreation program preferred.
- Able to identify new methods to incorporate recreation into programing for residents.
- Basic knowledge of medical terminology an asset.
- Ability to assume leadership in a group.
- Must have patience, tact, friendly disposition, enthusiasm, and developed communication skills.
- Highly flexible, with solid interpersonal skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse working environment.
- Must have a basic understanding of the elderly and aging process.
- Excellent time management and project management skills.
- Able to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times.
- Understanding of Microsoft Office programs and good organizational skills.
- Demonstrated understanding of patient /client safety procedures.
- Strong customer service skills.
Job Duties include but are not limited to:
- Plan and perform group and one to one activities meeting the needs of each resident and encourages participation.
- Ensure each resident’s physical, social, intellectual, spiritual and sensory emotional needs are met through independent activities or group in accordance with Directors direction.
- Encourage residents who are isolated from others or who have limited social skills to have recreational interaction with others.
- Assists in developing and updating the recreational interventions addressing the needs of the residents.
- Encourage residents to continue independent activities.
- Observe and document the individual resident attendance, participation, reactions, and progress.
- Instruct residents in relaxation techniques to reduce stress and tension, stretching and limbering exercises, proper body mechanics for participation in recreational activities, pacing and energy conservation techniques, and team activities.
- Use interventions to develop specific skills, while providing opportunities for exercise, mental stimulation, creativity, and fun.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Permanent, Casual
Salary: $21.17 per hour
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
Work Location: In person
To apply for this job please visit ca.indeed.com.