University of Saskatchewan
As one of Canada’s leading research libraries, the University Library serves as the intellectual hub of USask, providing resources, services, and spaces that facilitate inquiry, discovery, and knowledge creation. The University Library is committed to developing welcoming, responsive, and accessible services and resources to support our diverse clientele, with a strategic focus on Indigenous peoples.
Primary Purpose: To provide high-quality client-focused library services to the USask community and to external users.
Nature of Work: Reporting to the Borrower Services Supervisor, this position provides effective and efficient client service in support of the operations and Strategic Framework of the University Library. Work is performed in a dynamic service-oriented environment with competing tasks and priorities. Duties are routine, involving knowledge and understanding of the resources and functions related to the University Library. The professional image of the library must be presented by interacting knowledgeably and courteously with a variety of people as this position is driven by high customer service standards. This role involves frequent interaction with library clients and employees, members of the public, and other university employees who provide services to the library. The work requires strong communication and customer service skills with emphasis on resolving customer needs. Work is performed independently with direct support from the supervisor. Judgment is exercised within established library policies, practices, and guidelines. The need to be flexible and meet a variety of service standards and expectations from clients and colleagues is required.
Typical Duties or Accountabilities:
- Provide a range of operational support duties associated with the Borrower Services group (circulation services, course reserves, serials and collections maintenance, cash handling, etc.).
- Provide work-related guidance, support and direction to student library assistants.
- Complete all aspects of circulation of library materials (checkout, check-in, holds, shelving, processing library materials, filing, etc.).
- Provide excellent customer assistance and support at the Library Services desk; respond to general inquiries in-person and by telephone (directional questions; providing assistance in the use of library equipment; providing information on library policies and procedures; assisting patrons with website navigation; assessing information queries and referring appropriately).
- Address client issues and disputes using established methods and practices; refer complex situations to the Borrower Services supervisor, as necessary.
- Assist in the general upkeep, monitoring and maintenance of library spaces, reports problems to Facilities as necessary.
- Complete opening and/or closing duties.
- Undertake project work and other duties, as assigned.
Education: Completion of a relevant post-secondary program plus minimum of one years’ experience working in a library.
- Relevant library and public services experience.
- Experience working effectively in a high volume, time sensitive environment.
- Experience using Microsoft Office applications in a networked environment.
- Experience with Sierra library management system is an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to organize work, set priorities, meet deadlines, work independently, use initiative, and effectively handle disruptions.
- Demonstrated ability to provide excellent customer service in a positive, polite and professional manner.
- Demonstrated ability to use judgment and apply effective investigative, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication (consistently tactful, responsive, pleasant, effective, diplomatic and discrete).
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with others in a team environment.
- Demonstrated flexibility to adapt to change and engage and support others in the change process.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Reliable, dependable, and self-motivated.
To apply for this job please visit ca.indeed.com.