University of Sydney
Animal Ethics Manager
- Opportunity to work in a crucial role with a focus on animal ethics and welfare.
- Base Salary $145,184 (HEO10) + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
The Research Integrity and Ethics team is looking for an Animal Ethics Manager to lead the University’s animal ethics operations and to develop and implement initiatives to ensure that animal ethics services are aligned with strategic plans for research.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- lead the University’s animal ethics operations, supporting animal research and teaching and ensuring that activities involving animals comply with the State legislation, National and University guidelines, policies and procedures
- provide strategic advice on animal ethics policy to the Director, Research Integrity and Ethics Administration and to other senior University staff
- provide advice and develop and produce reports for the University’s senior leadership concerning the University’s animal ethics operations
- oversee the work of the Animal Ethics Committees, their respective executive committee and administrative support
- develop, introduce and implement new policies, processes and procedures for animal ethics
- initiate and develop professional working relationships with researchers
- liaise and consult with key government bodies (e.g. ARRP, NHMRC) to continuously improve the University’s ethics operations and ensure compliance with regulatory requirements
- undertake joint initiatives with the Human Ethics Manager, the Animal Welfare Veterinarian and the Associate Director, Laboratory Animal Services to improve operations of the Ethics Office and the services provided to the University’s researchers
- develop, implement and review researcher training initiatives relating to animal ethics
- benchmark and continuously improve the University’s animal ethics operation through consultation with regulatory agencies and other external stakeholders
- liaise with other units within the Research Portfolio to ensure the smooth function of the Portfolio and to streamline the researcher experience when working with the Research Portfolio
- support the Director of Research Integrity and Ethics Administration in developing contingency and succession planning for the group.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for an Animal Ethics Manager who has:
- a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or the equivalent combination of training and experience
- experience with Research Ethics Enterprise Systems
- experience in the provision of strategic support and advice on policies and procedures and in the development of policies and procedures
- demonstrated understanding of the evolving regulatory environment surrounding animal research, both nationally and internationally
- demonstrated high-level understanding and a working knowledge of the Australian code for the care and use of animals for scientific purposes and the policies and guidelines regarding animal welfare and ethics
- demonstrated experience in the management of ethics committees and their administrative support in a large institute
- proven expertise leading and building teams within a complex regulatory environment involving animal research.
To apply for this job please visit au.linkedin.com.