Summary of functions
The Pharmacy Assistant assists the Pharmacist in the technical aspects of prescription filling and administrative duties in order to increase the Pharmacist’s opportunity to provide patient care. The Pharmacy Assistant is expected to participate in all aspects of Pharmacy Operations required of a team player. They are a key member in the delivery of superior customer service.
What you will do
- Receive patient prescriptions, in accordance with regulatory requirements and provincial laws as well as assess the completeness of the prescription, i.e. name, address, DOB, allergies, third party information, any special requests, the prescriber, generic/branded, prioritize prescriptions according to 21st century guidelines.
- Perform computer functions as directed by pharmacist, i.e., enter data, verify price, enter or update patient information, competently interpret and process written prescriptions, including including recognizing Latin abbreviations, drug name and dose calculation, performing prescription refills, generating reports, checking patient profile.
- Fill prescriptions (always under the supervision of the pharmacist); select appropriate products; follow the accuracy program, including 7-point verification, visual verification and DIN verification; select, count, measure and prepare appropriate products; label and arrange for pharmacist verification; obtain necessary approvals for authorized verbal renewals, where permitted; use “STOP” forms, if applicable; take care of all aspects of cognitive services.
- Maintain inventory control; assist the pharmacist in maintaining appropriate stock levels of medications and supplies; check and remove expired medications at least monthly; clean the bin Calling in “expired” prescriptions on a regular basis; record returns; order medications and supplies; check, price and store pharmaceutical orders; use the preferred wholesaler as often as possible for pharmacy purchases; use the Texlon gun; check prices and set aside pharmacy orders; zoning the pharmacy shelves; mark opened bottles with an X, have knowledge of interchangeable medications; properly maintain and select key brand or preferred generic medications.
- Store supplies for preparing prescriptions (bags, labels, vials); keep the pharmacy clean, organized and orderly; as a team member, maintain a clean and safe work environment (e.g., wash dishes, empty trash); maintain and clean dosing and packaging equipment, computer, fax machine, etc.
- Administrative Duties: File prescriptions, invoices, reports, correspondence and memos as well as perform assigned administrative tasks (e.g., journals, customer accounts, expired product verification reports).
- Help operate the PVL as well as order, stock, and perform cashier tasks that are assigned by the PVL manager or pharmacist.
Indicate below the minimum skills required for this position. If none are indicated, there are no minimum skills.
Age – 16 or older
Indicate below the optional required skills for this position. If none are indicated, there are no desired skills.
As required by law, Walmart will provide accommodations for the needs of associates with disabilities.
Are you currently a Walmart associate?
Please log in to your Workday account and use the Find Jobs report to apply for this job.
- Find jobs
To apply for this job please visit ca.linkedin.com.