Summary of functions
The Pharmacy Assistant assists the Pharmacist in the technical aspects of prescription filling and administrative duties in order to increase the Pharmacist’s opportunity to provide patient care. The Pharmacy Assistant is expected to participate in all aspects of Pharmacy Operations required of a team player. They are a key member in the delivery of superior customer service.
What you will do
- Receive prescriptions from patients, in accordance with regulatory requirements and provincial laws as well as assess the completeness of the prescription, i.e. name, address, DOB, allergies, third party information, any special requests, the prescriber, generic/brand, prioritize prescriptions according to 21st century guidelines.
- Perform computer functions as directed by the pharmacist, i.e., enter data, verify price, enter or update patient information, competently interpret and process written prescriptions, including including recognizing Latin abbreviations, drug name and dose calculation, performing prescription refills, generating reports, checking patient profile.
- Fill prescriptions (always under the supervision of the pharmacist); select appropriate products; follow the accuracy program, including 7-point verification, visual verification and DIN verification; select, count, measure and prepare the appropriate products; label and dispose for pharmacist verification; obtain necessary approvals for authorized verbal renewals, where permitted; use STOP forms, if applicable; handle all aspects of cognitive services.
- Maintain inventory control; assist the pharmacist in maintaining appropriate stock levels of medications and supplies; check and remove expired drugs at least monthly; clean the To-call bin of “expired” prescriptions on a regular basis; log returns; order medications and supplies; checking, pricing and storing pharmaceutical orders; use the preferred wholesaler for pharmacy purchases as often as possible; use the Texlon gun; check prices and set aside pharmacy orders; zoning the shelves of the pharmacy; mark opened bottles with an X, have knowledge of interchangeable drugs; properly maintain and select key brand drugs or preferred generic drugs.
- Store supplies for preparing prescriptions (bags, labels, vials); keep the dispensary clean, organized and orderly; as a team member, maintain a clean and safe work environment (e.g. washing dishes, emptying trash); maintain and clean dosing and packaging equipment, computer, fax machine, etc.
- Administrative Duties: Filing prescriptions, invoices, reports, correspondence and memos as well as performing assigned administrative duties (e.g. logs, accounts receivable, expired product verification reports).
- Assist in the operation of the PVL as well as ordering, stocking, doing cashier duties as assigned by the PVL Manager or Pharmacist.
Indicate below the minimum skills required for this position. If none is indicated, there are no minimum skills.
Age – 16 or older
Indicate below the optional desired skills for this position. If none is indicated, there are no skills sought.As required by law, Walmart will provide accommodations for the needs of associates with disabilities.
Are you currently a Walmart associate?
Please log in to your Workday account and use the Find Jobs report to apply for this job.
- Find jobs
To apply for this job please visit ca.linkedin.com.